Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Teacher missing after shark attack off Australia; surfboard found with "one bite in the middle" -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Teacher missing after shark attack off Australia; surfboard found with "one bite in the middle"
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:26:11
Searchers have Robert Brownfound what appear to be pieces of the wetsuit and surfboard belonging to a 46-year-old surfer who was attacked by a shark off South Australia's coast, and police said they were continuing to search for his remains Monday.
School teacher Simon Baccanello was attacked Saturday while surfing with others near his home at Elliston in South Australia state. His damaged surfboard was found soon after.
Local State Emergency Service manager Trevlyn Smith told News Corp the surfboard had "one bite in the middle."
South Australia Police said Monday that searchers had found "items of interest" on Sunday near Walkers Rock where the attack occurred.
"One item appears to be a piece of wetsuit material and the other items appear to be small pieces of white polystyrene (possible surfboard material)," a police statement said. The evidence would be sent for forensic analysis.
In consultation with Baccanello's family, police would continue to search Walkers Rock and surrounding beaches for a number of days after high tide, the statement said.
Searchers say any remains are more likely to drift ashore rather than out to sea.
Jaiden Millar was one of around a dozen surfers in the water with Baccanello when the shark attacked.
"I saw his board tombstoning, which means he's underwater and his board's getting dragged under ... trying to fight his way back to the surface," Millar told News Corp.
Staff and students were mourning the loss of the teacher, 9 News reported.
"He had a real keenness with his students to make them feel good to build those relationships with the students," school principal Chad Fleming told 9 News. "And that's what he's going to be remembered for."
It was the first fatal shark attack in Australia since Feb. 15 when a swimmer was attacked by a 15-foot great white shark off a Sydney beach.
Just weeks before, a 16-year-old who jumped into a river from a personal watercraft was killed by a suspected bull shark near Perth.
2022 shark attack in Australia classified as "provoked"
Simon Nellist was killed when a great white attacked him in the waters near Sydney in February 2022. Earlier this month, the International Shark Attack Files, a University of Florida group that aims to compile all known shark attacks, classified the attack as "provoked."
But that doesn't mean Nellist was responsible for his death, according to Gavin Naylor, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research at the Florida Museum of Natural History.
In a blog post, Naylor explained why the group classifies shark attacks at all.
"Our criteria for classifying shark attacks are designed to filter the data collected so that we can better understand the natural behavior of the animals," Naylor said. "Any activity that draws sharks into an area where they otherwise would not be, are excluded."
At the time of the attack on Nellist, several people were fishing from the shore cliffs, Naylor told the Times of London. He said in his blog post that fishing is "known to attract sharks" even if bait or chum aren't used.
The researchers focus their analysis on "unprovoked" attacks, Naylor said. Last year, there were 57 such attacks around the world, only five of which were fatal, according to the group.
Alex Sundby contributed to this report.
- In:
- Shark Attack
veryGood! (18)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici Warn Bachelor Couples Not to Fall Into This Trap
- Missouri woman’s murder conviction tossed after 43 years. Her lawyers say a police officer did it
- Taylor Swift says Eras Tour will end in December
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Predator catchers' cover the USA, live-streaming their brand of vigilante justice
- Think cicadas are weird? Check out superfans, who eat the bugs, use them in art and even striptease
- Nashville police officer fired, arrested after OnlyFans appearance in uniform while on duty
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Who are hot rodent men of the summer? Meet the internet's favorite type of celebrity
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Residents, communities preparing for heat wave that will envelop Midwest, Northeast next week
- Kate Middleton Makes First Formal Appearance in 6 Months at Trooping the Colour 2024
- Kate Middleton Makes First Formal Appearance in 6 Months at Trooping the Colour 2024
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- On Father’s Day, this LGBTQ+ couple celebrates the friend who helped make their family dream reality
- Don’t take all your cash with you to the beach and other tips to avoid theft during a Hawaii holiday
- Military life pulls fathers away from their kids, even at the moment of their birth
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Photos offer a glimpse of Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee
Arrests of 8 with suspected ISIS ties in U.S. renew concern of terror attack
My autistic brother fought an unaccepting world. My graduating students give me hope.
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Charles Barkley says next season will be his last on TV, no matter what happens with NBA media deals
North Carolina governor vetoes bill that would mandate more youths getting tried in adult court
FDA inadvertently archived complaint about Abbott infant formula plant, audit says